Makes 4 servings Start to Finish: 30 minutes
“This recipe is so good and seemingly complicated, but actually has very few ingredients and steps. Flank steaks & skirt steaks are interchangeable. I just buy which ever is cheaper.”
2 lb beef flank steak (or skirt steak if cheaper)
Salt and pepper – to taste
3 tablespoons olive oil – divided
4 cloves garlic – minced
1 onion – sliced very thin
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
10 small flour tortillas
Sour cream – for serving
Salsa – for serving
1) Salt and pepper flank steak on both sides to taste. Place steak, 2 T of olive oil, and garlic in a large ziploc bag. Massage oil and garlic into meat for about 3 minutes. Turn oven to high broil. Place meat in a large baking dish. Place oven rack on highest notch. With oven door open, broil steak for 4 – 5 minutes on each side – depending on how well done you want it. When done, set aside and turn oven to 350.
2) While meat is broiling, heat 1 T of olive oil in a medium size skillet. Keep fire on low to medium heat. Once oil is heated, add onions and stir. Cook and stir for about 2 minutes and add brown sugar. Continue cooking and stirring until onions are clear and look carmelized, about 3 – 4 more minutes. Remove from heat when done.
3) Slice steak in thin strips across the grain. Cut slices into bite size pieces in the other direction.
4) Assemble quesadillas on a large baking sheet. Brush olive oil onto 1 side of flour tortilla and lay oiled side on pan. Distribute steak, onions, and cheddar evenly over 5 brushed tortillas. Place remaining tortillas over filling and brush the side that is up lightly with olive oil. Place in preheated oven and bake for 3 – 4 minutes on each side. *Don’t forget to move your rack back to the middle.*
5) Serve with salsa and sour cream.
*Kid tip – Make a couple without the onions for picky eaters.*