Makes 8 servings
Active Prep Time: 30 minutes Bake Time: 45 minutes
“This might be my very favorite dessert ever. It helps if you have a pastry cutter, but you can still get by without one. You can also use any fruit you have on hand. Peaches are especially delicious.”
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick cold, hard butter
3/4 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
6 cups berries – raspberries, blueberries, and / or blackberries – the frozen triple berry blend is perfect
Vanilla ice cream – optional for serving
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2) Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add butter, and cut into pea size pieces. I recommend a pastry cutter or food processor if possible. Otherwise, use 2 butter knives to cut the butter.
3) Slowly add milk, stirring constantly until dough comes together.
4) Whisk together cinnamon, sugar, and cornstarch. Add berries; toss gently to coat. Transfer berries to an 8 x 8 inch baking dish. Top with large spoonfuls on dough. Sprinkle lightly with more sugar.
5) Bake for 45 – 50 minutes until berries are bubbly and crust in golden brown.