Whether you are staying home or going to someone’s house, this is the perfect brunch dish. It travels well and it goes great with a colorful, spring fruit salad. If you are going to be pressed for time, make your hashbrown crust and bake it the night before. Cover and let set until morning. This will drastically cut down on your prep and bake time. What I LOVE about this dish is that it is so versatile. You can make it to your tastes by using any kind of meat, any kind of cheese, and any vegetables. I typically use whatever I have on hand that is about to go bad.
Makes 6 servings
Active Prep Time: 20 minutes Bake Time: 65 minutes – divided
2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup cooked sausage – or any other meat such as ham or bacon
10 eggs – scrambled
1 cup cheese – of choice
Salt and pepper – to taste
1/2 cup vegetables – of choice (such as bell pepper, mushrooms, spinach, green chilies)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Press potatoes into a large pie plate. Plate thin pats of butter on top of potatoes. Bake for 30 minutes.
3) While potatoes are cooking, brown meat and drain. In a medium size bowl, scramble eggs (do not cook.) Remove potatoes from oven.
4) Spread meat over potatoes. Sprinkle veggies over meat. Sprinkle cheese over veggies. Season eggs with salt and pepper and pour (raw scrambled eggs) over pie.
5) Bake for another 35 minutes.